|in a prefold with a size one thirsties cover|
|thirsties with an aplix closure|
In addition to cloth diapers, we are also using washcloths instead of disposable wipes. If she's really messy, we just stick her under the sink to rinse her off. Otherwise, I use a dry washcloth or, if needed, one that's been moistened with a spray bottle of water. The dirty cloth wipes just get washed along with the diapers each night.
After a couple of weeks of successfully using prefolds, I started getting a few that smelled strongly of ammonia after they were used. That's when I realized that I was using enough laundry detergent for a full load even though I was really washing half a load's worth of laundry (or less) at a time. I'd been using one tablespoon of Charlie's soap, and cut it down to half of that. Once in a while the ammonia smell will come back on 1-2 diapers and I'll do an extra rinse cycle at the end of the next wash. This seems to be working (fingers crossed).
When the newborn and extra-small diaper covers stopped fitting the baby, I eased my way into using pocket diapers. These are generally more expensive than prefolds, but an advantage to them is they usually have microfiber or some other fiber that wicks the moisture away so they don't feel as wet. Since Olivia gets distressed when wet, I thought this might help. They also take a little less work to put on. You do have to prep them by stuffing them with an insert, but then you just snap or velcro them on as you would with disposable diapers. The smallest one I had was a pair of rumparooz that I had bought because it has a smaller setting than the others and because it has an inner leg gusset, which I thought might also help with a snug fit and to prevent leaking. Sunbaby and fuzzibunz diapers also run a bit smaller.
|blueberry pocket diaper|
|grovia hybrid diaper|