Monday, March 12, 2007

The Host

I went to see the Korean movie "The Host" this weekend at the Landmark in Evanston. It's set in Seoul, on the banks of the Han River, and the main character works for his dad at a snack stand by the river. It is the all time top-grossing film in Korea and it was a scary movie that also made me laugh. How often does that happen? Some people have also called it a Korean Little Miss Sunshine. Hmmm...maybe if Little Miss Sunshine included a formaldehyde-mutated monster. It does have a terrific dysfunctional family. I most enjoyed the sister (pictured) who is a champion archer that moves at a snail's pace through life. I'd recommend going to this movie with a cup of spicy ramen or some tasty dried grilled squid because watching them eat in the movie made me miss all the cheap, delicious food in Seoul. If you want more info check out the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, where it got a 94% rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment